On Thursday, December 12th your Legislative Committee hosted their Teacher for A Day event. We had nineteen teachers hosting legislators, legislative candidates, union leaders, and District personnel across the city. Teachers put their guests to work teaching lessons, leading small groups, and dissecting pig hearts, and provided an authentic experience of a frontline PPS educator.
Check out a list of our host teachers and their guests!
- Jess Hutchinson @ Abernethy hosted Roshni Sabedra, PPS Senior Manager - Employee and Labor Relations
- Kyle Cook @ Arleta hosted Emily Gafne, PPS Senior Manager - Employee and Labor Relations
- Stephanie Macdonald @ Beach hosted Andrea Salinas, Oregon State Representative
- Valerie Turner @ Beaumont hosted Michael Denbrow, Oregon State Senator
- Ilsa Bruer @ Benson hosted Adam Meyer, candidate for House District 36
- Richard Melling @ Chapman hosted Serin Bussell, Candidate for House District 33
- Chrishana Tucker @ Chapman hosted Dr. Lisa Reynolds, Candidate for House District 36
- Ian Mauer @ Cleveland hosted Paige Kreisman, Candidate for House District 42
- Elaine Winn @ Creston hosted Rob Nosse, Oregon State Representative, House District 42
- Julia Peattie @ Harrison Park hosted OEA Vice President Reed Scott-Schwalbach
- Laura Jenness @ Harrison Park hosted Elvyss Argueta, OEA State-wide political organizer
- Maureen Kenny @ Lincoln hosted Andy Saultz, Candidate for House District 33
- Kelly Dwight @ Madison hosted Lavert Robertson, CEO of All Hands Raised
- Janelle Nelson @ Markham hosted Christina Stephenson, Candidate for House District 33
- Ali Herron @ Marysville hosted Stephanie Soden-Back, PPS Chief of Staff
- Nahir Perez @ Rigler hosted Barbara Smith Warner, Oregon State Representative House District 45
- Kesia Micheletti @ Roosevelt hosted Tina Kotek, Speaker of the Oregon House of Representatives
- Loan Zieh @ Rose City Park, hosted PPS Chief Financial Officer Cynthia Le
- Melody Hiser @ Skyline hosted Jennifer Williamson, Oregon State Representative for House District 36, and candidate for Oregon Secretary of State
After spending several hours in classrooms, teachers and their guests were invited back to the PAT office for lunch and a debrief of the time in the classroom. Our teachers clearly communicated our dire need for smaller class sizes, mental health support for our students, less standardized assessments, and updated facilities.