PAT is seeking members to serve on next year’s Advocacy Cadre. To apply, fill out this application form by June 27th.
What is The PAT Advocacy Cadre?
This small group of members will work closely with UniServ to become experts on our contract, and will provide member to member support.
The Advocacy Cadre will run a Zoom Advocacy Hotline, where Reps and other members can get immediate answers to questions about the contract and support to resolve problems in their buildings.
In addition, the Advocacy Cadre will provide support with Rep Training, answering member emails to [email protected],org, and creating materials to help members better understand contract issues.
You can read about this year's Advocacy Cadre here: www.pdxteachers.org/pat_advocacy_cadre
Cadre Members Commit to:
- 2 days Advocacy Training on August 16th and 17th. (This will be held either live, or remotely, depending on safety recommendations at that time.)
- 1 Zoom Hotline shift a week, during the school year, Mondays, 4:30-6:30 at PAT.
- Up to a half day twice a month to follow up on unresolved member needs from the Hotline shift (release time can be provided).
- In addition to answering the hotline, this time may include ongoing training and other advocacy work with Uniserv Reps. Additional dates may be added depending on need.
- This is a minimum 1-year opportunity and commitment, paid at the OEA cadre-rate ($33/hour).
- Assist Building Representatives and members who come to Zoom Advocacy Hotline;
- Respond to emails from members;
- Be a knowledgeable resource about the PAT contract and PAT systems for supporting members in different situations;
- Follow procedure to inform UniServ reps of issues, determining next steps;
- Potential additional release time/ pay for ongoing training or representation work;
- Potential to shadow UniServ Reps on assignment.
- Active PAT membership;
- Experience as a PAT building rep or other similar union experience preferred;
- Interest in continued union advocacy work;
- Special consideration given to applicants with an interest in pursuing work as a UniServ Consultant;
- Special consideration given to applicants with characteristics that help create a group that represents the racial diversity of our membership, and of the job-types that our members hold.
Goals for PAT:
- Build capacity among members to enforce our contract, support member rights, and organize and problem solve in buildings;
- Develop leadership within PAT that represents the diversity of our membership demographics and workforce positions;
- Create a pathway toward UniServ work for interested members.
- Fill out application form by June 27th
- Interviews to be scheduled in mid July
Portland Association of Teachers
Do you have unused sick leave hours? Please consider donating them to help support PAT members facing serious health issues.
Members may donate up to 40 hours of sick leave annually. Employees who have already submitted their notice of resignation are exempted from this maximum limit, and may contribute as many hours as they would like.
The PAT Sick Leave Bank (see PAT/PPS contract Article 184.108.40.206) provides aid for colleagues who have exhausted their accumulated leave balances and are unable to work due to extended or recurring personal illness. With the help of the Sick Leave Bank, they are able to avoid the additional hardships of lost salary and lost insurance coverage during their illness.
Registration is now open for the OEA Summer Conference in Bend, OR! Two distinct conference opportunities will be offered to fit your needs:
Virtual Conference: Thursday, July 14
In-Person Conference: Tues., July 19 - Thurs., July 21 Riverhouse Hotel on the Deschutes 3075 N Hwy 97, Bend, OR 97703
PAT has frequently hosted workshops on financial well being and planning for the future, led by veteran financial advisor Ed Foster. Whether you are a new educator thinking ahead, or in the last years of your career, we now have Ed Foster’s sage advice available for you online, whenever you need it:
- Retirement Planning for Early Career Educators (recorded 12/3/2020)
- Retirement Planning for Mid-Career Educators (recorded 4/8/2021)
- Retirement Planning for Educators Considering Retiring (recorded 1/6/2022)
- Retirement Planning for Educators Considering Retiring (recorded 10/20/2020)