PAT is seeking members to serve on the 2023-2024 Advocacy Cadre. To apply, fill out this application form by June 27th. Advocacy Cadre is how I started getting involved in PAT outside of my building. The experience was awesome; I met passionate members from other schools, helped members across our district, and became well versed in the contract. I encourage everyone to apply! Scroll down to read more about the PAT Advocacy Cadre.
Portland Association of Teachers
What is The PAT Advocacy Cadre?
This small group of members will work closely with UniServ to become experts on our contract, and will provide member to member support.
The Advocacy Cadre will run a Zoom Advocacy Hotline, where Reps and other members can get immediate answers to questions about the contract and support to resolve problems in their buildings.
In addition, the Advocacy Cadre will provide support with Rep Training, answer member emails to [email protected], and create materials to help members better understand contract issues.
You can read about the 2021-2022 Advocacy Cadre here: www.pdxteachers.org/pat_advocacy_cadre
Cadre Members Commit to:
- 2 days Advocacy Training on August 14th and 15th. (This will be held either live, or remotely)
- 1 Zoom Hotline shift a week, during the school year, Mondays, 4:30pm-6:30pm at PAT (Cadre members stay until 7pm).
- Additional 3.5 hours/half day up to twice a month to follow up on unresolved member needs from the Hotline shift (release time can be provided).
- In addition to answering the hotline, this time will include ongoing training and other advocacy work with Uniserv Reps. Additional dates may be added depending on need.
- This is a minimum 1-year opportunity and commitment, paid at the OEA cadre-rate ($33/hour).
- Assist Building Representatives and members who come to Zoom Advocacy Hotline;
- Respond to emails from members;
- Be a knowledgeable resource about the PAT contract and PAT systems for supporting members in different situations;
- Follow procedure to inform UniServ reps of issues, determining next steps;
- Potential additional release time/ pay for ongoing training or representation work;
- Potential to shadow UniServ Reps on assignment.
- Active PAT membership;
- Experience as a PAT building rep or other similar union experience preferred but not mandatory;
- Interest in continued union advocacy work;
- Special consideration given to applicants with an interest in pursuing work as a UniServ Consultant or Organizer;
- Special consideration given to applicants with characteristics that help create a group that represents the racial diversity of our membership, and of the job-types that our members hold.
Goals for PAT:
- Build capacity among members to enforce our contract, support member rights, and organize and problem solve in buildings;
- Develop leadership within PAT that represents the diversity of our membership demographics and workforce positions;
- Create a pathway toward UniServ work for interested members.