It is time to elect your site’s PAT Building Representatives for next school year! Each site is entitled to one Representative for every nine members.
- Every site must hold a Rep election every year.
- Only PAT members can vote, and only PAT members can run to be a Rep.
- Each site should create a ballot and hold their election as soon as possible.
What do Building Reps do? Our union works because Reps do a lot! That’s why it is important to have a full team of Reps to share the load.
Here are some of the responsibilities Reps take on:
- Come to Representative Assemblies at PAT each month
- Hold meetings for PAT members at their site
- Educate members about our contract
- Advocate to protect member rights and due process
- Meet with building administrators to solve problems
- Organize members around issues at your site or in the District
Ideally, each school has a diverse team of Reps that includes educators from a variety of grade levels and specialties, one that mirrors the racial and gender diversity of your site. Think about who you believe would be a good representative, and talk to them about running, too.
Our building elections are how we ensure that Reps at each site are trusted and respected leaders. It is crucial that members have a voice in who is representing them, and that everyone knows the process and has access to running and voting. If you’re interested in running to be a Rep, let your current Head Rep know.
For more information (including: How to Hold a Building Rep Election, Instructions for Creating Your Ballot (and the Ballot Template), Where to Report Your Elections Results, etc.), please visit www.pdxteachers.org/pat_elections