Much of the union’s work is accomplished by PAT members serving on committees, benefiting all our colleagues and every Portland student. We would love to have you join us on a committee that interests you!
Committees meet monthly at PAT (345 NE 8th) from 4:30 – 6:30 PM, and we provide dinner. Upcoming dates are listed below. If you are interested in joining a committee, please fill out this interest form and we will put you on the right mailing lists!
Social Justice and Community Outreach Committee members strengthen ties with other labor and community organizations and conduct open forums on topics like Special Education, Immigration Rights and Climate Justice. First Meeting: Wednesday, September 25th.
- The Racial Equity Committee is comprised of educators of color whose goal is to build organizational capacity within PAT to honor, acknowledge, and center the lived experiences and stories of educators, along with students of color, within our union and inside PPS. First Meeting: Wednesday, September 25th.
- The Substitute Teacher Committee discusses best practice for substitute teachers and supports the bargaining team. Their work, along with our collective efforts, helped PAT win the strongest Substitute Teacher contract in Oregon. First Meeting: Monday, October 14th.
- The Membership Committee offers workshops to help PAT members with issues such as student loan forgiveness, retirement planning, and interview skills for the transfer process. It also plans member activities such as the annual PAT “Party in the Park” and Retiree Reception. First Meeting: Wednesday, September 25th.
- The Instructional and Professional Development Committee meets with PPS leadership monthly to advocate for better district-wide programs for all PAT members. First Meeting: Wednesday, September 18th.
- The Legislative Committee works to support local legislation, elected leaders, and candidates for elected office who share our values, so that educators can influence our government to recognize the needs of our students and our profession. First Meeting: Thursday, September 26th.If you are interested in learning more, email PAT Vice President, Elizabeth Thiel at [email protected]
Featured Committee: Instructional & Professional Development Committee (IPD)
Next Meeting: Wednesday, September 18th, 4:30 – 6:30 PM
- Have opinions on Standardized testing?
- Have input for the GVC?
- Need to discuss the Successful Schools Survey?
- Want to make Professional Development more useful?
- Do you have ideas on how to make the teaching world better?
Come join a PAT conversation and work together with teachers.
Our goal is to hear from more of our members about what is important to you when it comes to instruction and professional development in our district.
Can’t make it on the 18th? Sign up here for future communications.