What is a Contract Exception: A Contract Exception is a process that allows a worksite to apply for an exception to the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). While creating exceptions to our contract language is not encouraged, we recognize that specific worksites may have a specific need for a given year. This process allows for that need to be considered. Contract Exceptions must be approved by the PAT Advocacy Committee and the District prior to implementation. A contract exception is valid only for the school year for which it was approved.
Who decides if my school should submit an exception for approval: Contract Exceptions are member driven, so should be initiated by educators.
Deadline: The deadline this year is Friday, May 13th, 2022 (for Contract Exceptions for next academic year). Contract Exceptions are welcomed prior to this date. When Contract Exceptions are received before the deadline, it provides more time for documents to be reviewed and questions to be answered. At times, the Advocacy Committee needs additional information prior to making a decision. Find the Contract Exception form here.
If referencing a previous year’s form, double check that you have the correct article number. Here is the current contract.
Some key things to remember:
- The article number needs to be specific (eg 7.7.1) to the requested exception.
- Double check your math.
- You MUST include copies of schedules or calendars that reflect the current and proposed changes. Identify changes to teacher hours, student hours, planning time, etc.
- Consider and address the impact on Specialists vs. Gen Ed teachers.
- Required: What is the option for members who oppose the exception?
- Review the FAQ’s here.
Role of the Committee when reviewing:
- Protect member rights
- Support member needs
- Ensure the integrity of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA)
- Do no harm to the bargaining process and/or open grievances
Need Help? Come to Advocacy Cadre on April 4th and/or April 25th at 5pm
If you are reading this, please click this link to receive a small gift from your PAT Membership Committee, and to be entered in a raffle to win a gift card (1 in 30 chance of winning)!