The Social Justice Community Outreach Committee (SJCO) has a number of upcoming meetings and planning opportunities for our members. If you’ve ever been curious about what we do, we hope you’ll pop in before the year is over to check us out! It’s a great place to connect with other members who are passionate about inclusivity, supporting unions, and actively promoting justice in and out of our district. Here is what to look forward to in the next few months (please RSVP here for any of the meetings):
- Ramadan has begun! Here is a Ramadan 2022- one pager pdf created by a teacher in Washington that provides guidance on supporting students who are observing this religious holiday.
- Here are Educator Resources for Arab American Heritage Month to use not only in April, but all year round.
- Check out this Art and Social Justice, a Student/Family Event, taking place virtually on April 7, 6:30-7:30pm. Mic Crenshaw will moderate a student-friendly discussion with Latoya Lovely (Abernethy educator) and Hobbs Waters about the ways art and social justice interact, followed by a guided art activity for all participants. Please share this event and flier with students and families in grades 3-8!
- May is Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month. A big thank you to the subcommittee hard at work creating resources for our members! These will be shared later this month.
- Wednesday April 27, 4:30-6:30pm SJCO Monthly Meeting and LGBTQIA+ and Disability Pride Month (June) subcommittee. This will be the first time SJCO has put together educator resources for this important focus. Please bring your passion and your expertise to help curate lessons, articles, books, and other resources!
- Thursday May 26, 4:30-6:30pm SJCO Monthly Meeting and Latinx Heritage Month subcommittee. We are happy to get this ball rolling ahead of next school year. It has been tricky to find time before the start of Latinx Heritage Month, as it begins so shortly after the start of school. We have materials from the last two years as a strong base and welcome new resources and ideas.