Portland Public Schools Are in Crisis and Educators Know What We Can Do to Make Things Better
Our students are in crisis. Our district has a severe staffing shortage.
Every day we’re missing hundreds of teachers, counselors, aides, and support staff, the very professionals our students depend on to help them navigate tough times.
Teachers have worked themselves past the breaking point trying to fill these gaps, but it’s taken a heavy toll. In a recent survey, 1400 PPS teachers said they are considering leaving PPS or taking a leave of absence.
This system is not sustainable and we need to act.
Portland teachers want to make sure we can maintain in-person instruction and ensure a stable school year for all our students.
But if we want to stabilize PPS and keep experienced teachers in the district, we need to take action.
And more than anything, this means giving teachers the TIME we need to work with students who are struggling, and to address our students’ unprecedented social and emotional needs.
What we believe:
Students deserve classroom instruction that meets their current needs
- Time for educators to adapt instruction to meet post-CDL student needs
- Time for educators to give feedback to students and families
- Time for educators to collaborate with SpEd, ELL, Social Workers and content teams
Students deserve all available PPS resources directly addressing their needs
- Temporarily remove job duties that do not immediately have an impact on student learning
Students deserve schools that are safe, secure, and that focus on the whole child
- Time for school staff to work together on school climate, to create an environment that is safe and supportive of student learning
- Pivot central office support to filling in for para-educator vacancies and absences when possible
Get the facts about what teachers think our students need and what PPS should do to avert a crisis:
Support Educators by helping us get the Time to Get it Right for our students:
Read about the how the staffing crisis is impacting our schools here:
- Oregon is experiencing an education workforce crisis (includes full list of signers)
- President's Message, October 13th: Staffing Crisis
- President's Message, November 3rd: Staffing Crisis Will Get Worse Without Action
- President's Message, November 17th: Listen to Educators
Learn about our Solutions here:
- PAT Slide Presentation, December 6th, 2021
- Bargaining for Immediate Workload Relief and Time to Get It Right for Our Students
- Bargaining Brief, November 29th, 2021
- Bargaining Brief, November 30th, 2021
- Bargaining Brief, December 6th, 2021
- Watch the complete PAT/PPS Bargaining Sessions and hear directly from educators